Sign In Forgot Password

About Us

Oak Park Temple B’nai Abraham Zion dates back to the 1919 merger of the Zion Congregation (founded in 1864) and the B’nai Abraham Congregation (founded in 1871). Originally known as Washington Boulevard Temple and located on Chicago’s West Side, the congregation dedicated its current home at 1235 North Harlem Avenue in Oak Park in 1957 and has since been known as Oak Park Temple B’nai Abraham Zion.

Over the years, Oak Park Temple has enjoyed the talents of a number of respected rabbis. Samuel Schwartz guided the congregation for over twenty years, shepherding the successful merger of the two founding temples. He was succeeded by Gunther Plaut, renowned commentator and editor of The Torah: A Modern Commentary.

The congregation continued to flourish under Rabbi Leonard J. Mervis, who served from 1951 to 1979. A committed scholar and leader in Jewish studies, Rabbi Mervis also brought focus and insight to the complex social issues of his time.


 

Contact Oak Park Temple

Phone: 708-386-3937
Fax: 708-386-0955

Address:
1235 N. Harlem Ave., Oak Park, IL 60302

 

Oak Park Temple is a 501(c)(3) organization.

Oak Park Temple is a member of The Union for Reform Judaism (URJ). This website conforms to the privacy policy set forth by the URJ.

Sat, November 18 2017 29 Cheshvan 5778